I got an obscene amount of hair and fiber from underneath the N, A, and S keys last night, but the good news is that the N now works when I use it. The S is still a little funny, but not enough to drive me nuts. My keys are very flat, and there are a couple small pieces of plastic underneath that fit together just one way. I’m glad I know how to do it now, but the first time I took a key off I thought it was broken forever.
Well, no excuses. I wrote 341 blog words, and 241 fiction words. I didn’t subtract all the words I cut out from what was written before. I would do that in November, but not now.
I’ve already written more today than yesterday, which is a good sign. We’ll see how the rest of the day pans out. Wish me luck!
My “n” key is not reliably working. Occasionally my “s” and “a” will follow suit. This is displeasing because I use those letters often. I’m going to have to try popping keys off later, even though it’s a struggle to get them back on with this computer. The alternative is trying an external keyboard, but I don’t think I’m ready to do that yet.
I got up at 5:30 this morning, and it feels good to be back in that routine. I had the thought yesterday that I really enjoy taking the time to make my #BuJo layouts “pretty” (banners, doodles, quotes, etc), and so instead of trying to write first thing this morning, I used my pen.
Then, I started deleting words.
On the way home last night, I realized I was rushing some things in my story, and avoiding others that needed attention. So I saved a new copy, chopped out some words, and smoothed out some edges. I think this will be better, and it will get me moving quicker towards the real problem in the story, which will let me solve the problem, and finish this so I can start another.
Yesterday I blogged 390 words in two blog posts and wrote 333 words mainly at my writing/editing group. I think I’m in a better place to start writing faster this morning. There’s quite a bit of cleaning that needs to happen this evening, too. Hopefully, I’ll have a very productive day.
I don’t know how I managed quite so many years without a single problem on Off the Beaten Plan. Knowing that too many plugins and such can break a blog, I try not to do anything I don’t understand, or am unfamiliar with.
Imagine my surprise when I found my blog broken-ish for much of yesterday.
Worse, this morning, when it was broken completely.
Fixing WordPress isn’t easy, and there’s not a lot of resources that are clear on what might fix the issues. I took advantage of the WordPress Codex on common errors (along with several websites that offered the same advice), and finally, this morning, managed to get things sorted out.
I also spent much of my evening yesterday with my daughter shopping for news shoes, hopefully to alleviate the foot pain she’s been experiencing. We bought a nice pair of ryka’s, but had to travel across the Valley to do so, and got back quite late. Though the trip was ultimately successful, it was a late night. Piling the intermittent service with the blog, my word count was awful.
But damn it, I wrote. 30 words of fiction, and (somehow) 237 words of blogging. And this morning, I fixed the blog. Hopefully now will all be right in my world, because the entire process angered me greatly. I’m determined not to let it bleed over into the rest of the day. I shall say no more.
I have a spreadsheet in which I keep track of my words. I had planned to take a few minutes during lunch to write my blog post there, but I couldn’t find my spreadsheet in the cloud. I had to call home, warn the person using my computer I was going to log in, and then I found it. Completely in the wrong spot, naturally.
Yesterday’s writing was 259 for blogs, 444 for fiction. The afternoon was rough, although not insurmountably so. It resulted in more Mad Men than was strictly necessary, and the consumption of the remaining eggnog in the refrigerator.
Here’s where I stand for the past week:
Weekly total words: 6,608
Weekly total fiction words: 4,457
Weekly total blog words: 2,151
Difference from last week: -25%
Weekly rank: 2 (of 3)
Average weekly words: 5292
Difference in average words from last week: 14%
I’m not satisfied with my weekly fiction totals and intend to improve those numbers this week. It will take quite a bit of work, especially since I’m entering my last half hour of wakefulness for the day and running out of time to write. I’m sure that won’t stop me from trying, though. 😉
Even though we just had a load of holidays, I would have enjoyed having Monday off as well. Alas, that is not to be, and I will be returning to my office in short order.
One would think my weekends could be more productive. And yet, yesterday’s words were hard to come by. 248 of them came from two blog post, and the other 501 of them were from fiction. I was happy to manage more than Friday, but geez.
I think it’s important for me to remember that just because this is another, new year, I have not yet fallen into my regular routine. Life has gotten in the way, as I assist family with a move and am able to take less time for myself. I will need to forgive myself a little, and work a little harder in the new spaces I have for work.
Like now. I have turned off the television and the kids are happy on their devices. If I go and write for 30 minutes, see what I can accomplish, I believe I will feel better about my production tomorrow.
So, if you will excuse me, I need to go prepare some amazing numbers (and move this book further down the line towards production) for tomorrow.